Winter season brings many things. One of them are germs. Nasty little germs that spread infections, bacteria and viruses like forest fire.
My number one priority for me and my family is to stay healthy and flu free during the winter months. It seems like once the flu hits your house all you do is disinfect and disinfect. The flu doesn’t leave without a fight. To stay healthy at this point is a challenge.
Most of the time in my house the flu and other infections come from school. Many school age children have weaker immune systems during the winter months.
Since 80% of the infections and viruses spread through touch it takes only couple kids not to wash and disinfect their hands properly and the whole class can be sick with the flu in just a few days.
Luckily, since most of the infections spread through touch we can take few simple steps to protect ourselves and our families from nasty germs and stay healthy all year round.
Stay healthy and germ free with these 7 simple steps:
- Disinfect, Disinfect and Disinfect…..once a day wipe your counters, house phone, all remote controls (don’t forget gaming system controls), keyboards, door knobs and door handles. I like to use Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
- Use Hand Sanitizers….to disinfect every time you don’t have soap and hot running water on hand. The best choices are alcohol based hand gels, but I put hand sanitizers into my kids backpacks so I also buy alcohol-free hand sanitizers that are safe for kids. The alcohol free disinfectants are also safe for my diabetic son. The alcohol based hand sanitizers used to give him wrong blood glucose readings.
- Wash Your Shower Curtain….at least once a week depending on the amount of showers your family takes to get rid of the mold causing bacteria from the moisture.
- Keep Your Kitchen Clean…once a week disinfect and kill bacteria in your kitchen sink and garbage can by scrubbing it with diluted bleach. Don’t forget to disinfect your sponges, scrub your cutting boards, and clean microwave, fridge and dishwasher handles.
- Spray Disinfectants….around your home. Every few days I walk around with Lysol or Clorex disinfectant spray and spray curtains, kids toys and stuffed animals, carpets, sofa and everything that gets touched or germs can easily land on.
- Tissue Boxes…I have tissue boxes spread around the house so whoever needs them can use them easily and dispose of them immediately.
- Teach and Live By Example….teach your children to wash their hands properly everywhere they go and often. Preach what you teach. It is the best way to stay healthy.
Stay healthy and germ free this flu season. Don’t forget that proper diet and exercise play also a big part of staying healthy.